From:
Susan Juhl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 15:31:44 -0700
Eric Willstaedt wrote:

>[log in to unmask] writes:
>
>>The goal was to attempt in some small way to harness the power of
>>music to console, inspire and uplift during a time of national tragedy
>>and emotional distress.
>
>wouldnt it be better to just have all the music stations be SILENT for that
>entire day in order for people to have a time to reflect in silence??? If
>people are grieving and need consoling, most of them probably dont want or
>need the music.
>
>It would be a far better gesture to NOT play music then to play whatever
>was on that list.

If you want silence, you don't turn on the radio.

Many people wanted to hear what others were doing and thinking last
September.  Some didn't want to leave their houses, but they wanted
communication with community members.  They turned to their local radio.
Besides giving info on vigils, meetings, church services, etc.  I played
music.  I sent this list a posting of the works on my show on Sept.  14.
It was all music by American composers.

Susan