From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 18:34:15 -0400
Tim Horwood wrote:

>Does anybody else listen to Haydn? I have been recently listening to such
>works as The Creation and some of the symphonies (45, 92, 101).  Does
>anybody have any favourite recordings or books they can recommend not
>necessarily limited to the works above?

There is incredible richness here.  Try the great masses - I particularly
like the Nelson Mass if only because I sang in it a quarter of a century
ago.  Then there are the quartets - music of unbounded inventiveness.
There are many fine recordings - the Kodaly Quartet on Naxos is good, but
the Mosaic Quartet using period instruments is especially good.  Excellent
in a more old fashioned way is the Tatrai Quartet.  Which ones to listen
to? Any or all- the opus 51s, the 20s, the 76s, the 74s, etc.  The Los
Angeles String Quartet recorded them all, then, soon after disbanded.
What's the story there?

Bernard Chasan