Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:47:43 -0600
From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Ed Zubrow:

>In his list of favorite pieces (as of today), Steve cites:
>
>>Mozart: Don Giovanni; String Quintet in g minor
>>Haydn: Sinfonia Concertante
>
>Is this a typo? I am unfamiliar with a Haydn Sinfonia Concertante.
>Assuming there is such a thing, what would I hear in it that makes
>it so distinguished?

You are in for such a treat!  Haydn's Sinfonia Concertante in Bb, op. 84,
for violin, cello, oboe, bassoon, and orchestra is one of the best works of
the Classical era.  To me, it puts Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante for violin
and viola in the shade, and *that's* a great work.  Incredible themes,
wonderful counterpoint, amazing byplay among the soloists.

Steve Schwartz