Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 17:25:15 +0000
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
   Robert Schumann(1810-1857)
     Kinderszenen, Opus 15

Pavel Jegorov
Infinity Digital/Sony 57264
Recorded 1993
Couplings: Carnaval and the Arabeske
TT 61:48

It appears to be human nature for reviewers to have high expectations of
premium-priced recordings featuring the most well known artists while being
more magnanimous toward inexpensive discs with performances by artists of
slight or no reputation.

Pavel Jegorov is relatively unkown and Infinity Digital recordings cost
even less than a Naxos disc.  So, my expectations certainly were not
high when I first started playing Jegorov's Kinderszenen.  After a few
listenings, my conclusion is that the performance is a fine one at the
right price.  Although not an essential acquistion, the reading can be
heartily suggested for both those who are beginners and the serious
collector.

The primary reason that Jegorov passes the test is that he
admirably succeeds in blending the child and adult elements of Schumann's
personality.  No recording of Kinderszenen can be worthy without passing
this basic test which is the reason, for example, that I could not
recommend the Ruth Slenczynska performance on Ivory Classics which gives
short shrift to the child in Schumann.

The fine blending of adult and child becomes obvious from the start with
the 1st Scene, "Foreign lands and people", where Jegorov well conveys the
dreaming and optimistic child through his tender treatment as well as the
reflective adult when the descending lines take center-stage.

Other exceptional aspects of Jengerov's playing are pacing, accenting,
and conveying melancholy.  His flow is very natural, which makes each tempo
and rhythm he uses sound just right.  The exuberant bounce he gives to "A
curious story" is very appealing, and his hesitations in "By the fireside"
are distinctive.

Melancholy and Jengerov must be a 'set', because he really shines in "Amost
too serious" and "Slumbering child".  In fact, I've never heard such
piercing melancholy as Jengerov conveys in these two pieces.

Don's Conclusions: I increasingly like the Jengerov performance of
Kinderszenen.  He is a very convincing artist who takes some chances and
usually comes out a winner.  And if you love the melancholy in Schumann's
music, Jengerov is essential listening.  For all others, a strong
recommendation for this excellent performance.

Concerning the other two works on the disc, I'll be reviewing them at
another date.  However, I can reveal that purchase of the Jengerov disc
is a fine route to take.  At $5 a pop, it's a great bargain and would make
a fine 'stocking stuffer' item next December.

There are some more versions to come - Nat, Haebler, Gieseking, and maybe
others.  It depends on when I become saturated with all the Kinderszenen I
can handle; so far, it hasn't happened.

Don Satz