From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 09:41:13 -0500
Dave said:
They will protect their nest (which only
lasts until the next hard freeze,

Like honeybees these hornets aggressive behavior can vary from nest to nest
so be careful.

If your husband is in danger of anaphylaxis from stings I would get the nest
removed before the nest gets larger.

I removed a nest from inside a basement years ago. They at times stung right
through my beesuit and always went for the face first. Not trying to terrify
but only give first hand knowledge from experience.

 I have dealt with hornets several times.

My method:
I use automotive starting spray to  knock down and kill the hornets as they
attack. Stand in front of the nest and slowly move the nest and kill as they
fly at you.
Method which I have done before which I enjoy (if successful) because I love
the expression on the homeowners face when I hand the sack to the homeowner
and say do not open with care. I have never had a homeowner  take the trash
sack!
 Leave sealed in direct sunlight for a time and all the hornets should be
dead.

Protected or not I believe when people realize your husband is at risk they
will allow removal of the nest. At least they would in the U.S..

Old hornet nests bring big bucks at antique malls in the U.S. but perhaps
not a good idea to sell the old nest without permission which might be given
with the authorization to remove in Europe.

If you leave alone and wait for fall I would advise your husband to keep an
epiPen ( epinephrine)close by when on the deck

 One hornet can sting you many times (experience talking).

Although I agree with Dave about leaving the hornets nest if possible I
would not if in a place in which these guys can cause trouble.

Bob