HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Nutt (Contractor), Stephanie MRS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:24:57 -0500
Teagan,
I know I'm late replying to you but if you are still looking for papers for
the session I would be interested in participating.  I don't have an
abstract to send you yet but I'd like to do something with our early 20th
century sites.  I work at Fort Leonard Wood in the Missouri Ozarks.  Most of
our historic sites were occupied in the late 19th and early 20th century and
occupations ceased in 1941 when the land was acquired to create Fort Leonard
Wood.  By the early 20th century the already marginal land here was pretty
much exhausted and then the depression hit them pretty hard.  Most families
survived on family gardens; wild fruits, berries and greens; and any meat
they could get through hunting, trapping, and fishing.  Their socio-economic
status as well as their "Ozarkian" attitudes definitely affected their daily
lives and food choices.  The archaeological record certainly reflects the
marginal lifestyle.  We've done a good amount of documentary research, have
conducted some oral histories and more will be done in the near future, and
have conducted Phase II work at three sites.  There is also a substantial
artifact collection generated through surface collection when the sites were
being recorded.  I hope you can see where I am trying to go with this.
While the bulk of my job is the day to day CRM issues on a military
installation I have been wanting to do some research on the foodways of the
people who occupied these sites.
Thanks for your time.
Stephanie

Stephanie L. Nutt
Historical Archaeologist
Center for Environmental Management of Military Lands
Fort Leonard Wood Natural Resources Branch
(573) 596-0131 ext. 67606