HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tim Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 18:15:28 -0500
NEW Post
I'm trying to compile a list of city archaeological programs in the U.S. I'm
also interested in those in Europe and the southern hemisphere, but they
won't help me convince the powers that be in the former Capitol of the
Confederacy that there might be some merit in acknowledging and trying to
systematically investigate local archaeological resources. No offense, but
the local trogs would probably take "foreign" programs as an argument
against followng that lead. Yes, yes, they brag about their history, but
when it comes to actually doing something about it, they've been spoiled by
the Rockefellers' little glitz shop down the road ("Colonial Williamsburg")
and respond that "Oh, that's for private enterprise to take care of!" I'll
appreciate any refs., URLs, contact people or whatever. I know about the
programs in Alexandria, and northern Virginia, but would like to shame them
with Macon, Georgia (?), Pensacola (?),  etc.

All donations gratefully received.
Tim Thompson
Richmond, Virginia