HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert Cromwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 19:19:41 -0700
Robert,

If you are actually on the mainline through Reno, it seems unlikely to
me that these are burned coal deposits from steam locomotives. The
Central Pacific RR reached eastwards into Reno by 1868, and all of the
pictures of CP locomotives of this period clearly show wood in their
tenders. Indeed, the famous photo of the Jupiter meeting the UP
locomotive at Promontory Utah shows wood in both of their tenders, in a
very arid and non-woodsy section of the world. The CPRR's larger
successor, the Southern Pacific RR, kept burning wood in their steam
locomotives until they transitioned to heavy bunker oil in the 1890s.
The only SP division that  ran on coal that I'm aware of was through
Tucumcari, New Mexico, where the SP owned a coal mine. There's some
excellent technical data on CP/SP steam locomotives in:

Dunscomb, Guy L.
1968    A Century of Southern Pacific Steam Locomotives.

Could your deposit simply be coarse railroad sand? They used it for
both railbed ballast and for traction on the rails. The black could be
burned oil deposits from the many thousands of steam locomotives that
trundled past there in the first half of the 20th century. If you ever
saw pictures of a Cab Forward locomotive (or any of the SP's steamers)
working hard from Sparks to Reno you would see that they covered
everything within spitting distance of the tracks in a black greasy
dust.

Just some thoughts.

Best,

Robert Cromwell, M.A.