HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Greg Waselkov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:43:41 -0500
Hi Paul,
        Yes, one can still see Biot storage jars in many courtyards throughout the
French Quarter in New Orleans. Fragments have also turned up in excavations
in N.O., and here in Mobile from late 18th-century to early 20th-century
contexts. The most recent find was the upper half of a jar used as a large
planter outside the entrance to a building on the Springhill College
(Jesuit) campus. Gulf coast merchants continued to import these jars (and
contents) and other French commodities long after the French colonial period
ended. They are still being imported by upscale antique dealers, and sell in
the Quarter for close to $2000 per jar.
Greg Waselkov
Mobile
USA