Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:42:49 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
There's a new story about a lake house on stilts in Wales where 9th century Corgi (Gaelic for dog) bones have been found, by archaeologists, perhaps, a long standing royal tradition. Really tight tree ring dating, astounding. I read back around 1980 that was a real problem for our shared climates as localized variations produce a lot of variation in tree growth rings, although in the late 19th century a Dr. Mercer dated the Vera Cruz jasper mines in Vera Cruz, PA, near Emmaus, PA, to have been abandoned about 1600 C.E. (Common or Christian Era).

A friend, Mary FitzHerbert, BA 1978 Stony Brook, (one FitzHerbert, was a royal consort that caused quite a scandal) with whom I worked and traveled with, is from the area above the west bank of the river Wye in eastern Wales. A couple of bridges there, new one recently, have the British and Welsh in each others places, often on weekends.

"The Wye Valley creates the western border of the Royal Forest of Dean.The valley was designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty in 1971."

"The rich nutrient unpolluted waters of the River Wye resulted in the river being designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), the first major river to be given this recognition." - America Online - [Symonds Yat and the Wye Valley]

http://www.fweb.org.uk/fddc/tourist/places/wye/index.html

and:

"The Royal Forest of Dean, Vale of Leadon and Wye Valley offer you the opportunity to see typical English Countryside at it's best! The Royal Forest of Dean was designated as a National Forest Park in 1938, the first in England, and offers you its natural beauty and outdoor leisure.

This website has been developed to let you have a bit of this wonderful countryside at your fingertips. You will be able to find out the history of The Royal Forest, Local Businesses, Towns, Villages, Recreation and lots more." - America Online - [The Royal Forest of Dean - Forest Web]

http://www.fweb.org.uk/dean/

and:

"Hopewell Colliery Museum Cannop Hill, Coleford. B4226 Coleford to Speech House Road. 

Walk through a true Forest of Dean Freemine. See mine workings, some date to 1820's. See the old mine working tools on display and visit the cafe. Open March to October daily 10am to 4pm Admission: Adults £3, Child £2. Phone 01594 810706 (Museum) 01594 832216 (home)."

Interesting,

George (Corgi Porgi Puddin' 'n Pie) Myers

ATOM RSS1 RSS2