HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
paul courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:43:46 +0000
Yes the TT do have resaerch designs, as their digging is entirely problem
orientated. The US style of sampling strategy with 1m squares is not
regarded as a standard excavtion method in the Uk but is used as an
evaluation/exploarion technique. TT  tend to use small open area or trench
excavtion. This reflects the British tradition of plan and stratigrapgy
driven excavation. Also the fact that archaeology is often physically
different here with a thousand years of occupation being not uncommon,
straigraphy can be very deep and residuality common and artefacts are often
super abundant. On the other hand there has been some criticism by
professionals in the UK of the TV and time driven nature of the work and I
was not entirely happy with some of the work done on the project I was
involved with - too many decisions made by the TV producer and not enough
recording staff. On the other hand it does get araheology in the public eye.

paul courtney
leicester
UK