HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 23:30:05 -0500
My favorite bug story happened in the summer of 1979, the wettest year on
record in Mississippi. It would deluge every afternoon in the 99% humidity
and 95 degree F heat. The site surveyor of the Waverly Plantation Ferry
town, in the way of the Tenn-Tombigbee Canal (connecting Mobile, Alabama
with the Tennessee River, and indirectly, the Ohio River, creating a barge
canal that could work when the Big River isn't) was loaded with chigger
bites and the rest of the crew wasn't doing to well either. Well, this
gentleman came by, maybe a local, Teddy Roosevelt his name was I think, and
he said get some sulphur put it in a sock and bang it around the tops of
your shoes and socks. Worked like a charm! Sometime later, lo and behold, an
"Army" looking can came on the market to do just that!

Unfortunately, there was no cure at the time for the re-emergence of the
Grand Dragon of the KKK there in Columbus, MS, a Mr. Wilkinson, who's been
followed around by the Southern Poverty Law Center since, at least that's
what I've read.

George Myers

Wonder if the latest virus has gotten to your computer? Find out. Run the
FREE McAfee online computer scan!