HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 19:42:30 -0500
I don't know about the rest of you lot, but those old digital files I
created way back in the 1980's are still useful. They've been migrated
through the various technologies as they came along and in each case,
the techs have gotten less expensive. The CAD files in some cases have
had base maps re-scanned and placed in scales that weren't available on
my original CAD software, but it's not something which takes forever.
I've managed to dust them off and use them several times on adjacent or
similar projects.

On the other hand, with state archived items, there's a prohibitively
expensive "processing fee" used to reproduce photos and maps, they're
in B&W whether or not the originals were and they're second generation.
With my digi-photos, any that I send out are as good as the originals.

There's software out there for batch processing of graphics files.

Lots of posts indicate that folks are still not using the full
capabilities of their computers and are still thinking hard copies.
Jumping slightly sideways for an analogy: In VA, where we don't have
cows or pigs at 5000 BC, we do have a site survey form which takes no
less than 7 screens to get through. This for a form which will print
front and back on one single sheet of paper if the white space is
removed. It was designed by folks who thought in paper space, not
computer screens. Using all the same set of input fields in tabular
form, the same form can fit on one computer screen for data entry and
printed in another layout as desired. Has that been suggested? Yes. Has
it been shot down in flames every time? Also Yes.

Rather than being incredibly conservative, it is perhaps time to put
the project hard copies into the archives with a backup and to mandate
electronic copies which can be migrated from technology to technology.
All of this can be done with the full knowledge that there is no such
thing as permanence and if the world blows up, who cares anyway.

Lyle Browning

Have digital copies, will migrate.