HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Norma Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 09:55:06 -0700
I did an evaluation on a vat for Eglin Air Force Base in northwest
Florida some years ago.  The base occupies about 50 square miles mostly
in the pine barrens, and they have (had) several of them.  The Owls Head
Branch vat was the LEAST contaminated, so only the soil around the vat
had to be removed because of arsenic.  Many of them are also
contaminated with DDT and BHC. The worst cases contaminate groundwater
and nearby surface water. Actually, this wasn't even the most toxic
substance I encountered on Eglin.  There have been many chemicals tested
on that facility (Agent Orange, for one), and there are probably still
tests we don't really want to know about. Oh, the things we do to feed
ourselves in graduate school.

For a look at the vat:
http://www.eglin.af.mil/em/virtualtours/owlshead/index.htm

Norma Harris