HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:50:57 -0700
People,

Please keep in mind that not everyone on Histarch has been involved with
historical archaeology for years and years. We have a lot of students and
newbies on board and they will be asking questions.

I want the atmosphere of the list to be open and available to these folks
as well as to us (oldbies?).

I seem to recall a major flame war ages ago on the ARCH-L list over the
same sort of thing, and do not want this to happen here.

At 09:21 AM 9/11/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Carol, I'm all for asking the list questions when one has a need for genuine
>advice, but after reading the many questions you've been putting to the
>list...frankly, I'm disturbed. Even if your area isn't historic, many of the
>archival methods are not so disimilar from those used on prehistoric
>collections. You don't seem to have proper training in methods in
>preservation. I can't stay quiet any longer while these long strings created
>for your education go on plugging up my e-mail account when all you need to
>do is crack a book. I'm sure these lovely people can point you in the right
>direction. Try the NPS guidelines for a start and I'm sure where ever your
>collection is going has a handbook.
>
>Mary E. Garrett
>SWCA
>Mission Viejo, CA

Anita Cohen-Williams
Search Engine Optimizer/Guru
http://www.mysearchguru.com
"Get Your Web Site Noticed!"

Listowner of HISTARCH, SUB-ARCH, & SPANBORD
Archaeology Online Blog (web log)
http://archaeology.blogspot.com