HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mary Garrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:21:53 -0700
Carol, I'm all for asking the list questions when one has a need for genuine
advice, but after reading the many questions you've been putting to the
list...frankly, I'm disturbed. Even if your area isn't historic, many of the
archival methods are not so disimilar from those used on prehistoric
collections. You don't seem to have proper training in methods in
preservation. I can't stay quiet any longer while these long strings created
for your education go on plugging up my e-mail account when all you need to
do is crack a book. I'm sure these lovely people can point you in the right
direction. Try the NPS guidelines for a start and I'm sure where ever your
collection is going has a handbook.

Mary E. Garrett
SWCA
Mission Viejo, CA

>From: Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: nail polish vs Paraloid / Acryloid
>Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 16:53:16 -0700
>
>As a tightwad (even with company money)...I would like to agree (and used
>nail polish up until a few yrs ago)....but times, they are a changing...and
>our collections are to be prepared by strict archival standards...set forth
>by the curation facility in San Diego Co....so we have no choice but to use
>what supplies they mandate.   I have not used the Paraloid product yet
>however (but was given a sample for free).
>
>At 04:30 PM 9/8/03 -0700, you wrote:
>>Yes, but nail polish is 1) cheaper, and 2) easier to find than this stuff.

Need more e-mail storage? Get 10MB with Hotmail Extra Storage.
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es