HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Elizabeth Ragan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 07:02:51 -0400
Okay, I'll stop lurking for a bit.  I've been on the list for at least 2
years, and I promise I will send in that SHA membership soon, Bob and
Julie.

I have the strenuous pleasure of running a one-woman anthro program,
where I am adding archaeology to the cultural-heavy curriculum: just got
a field school course in the catalog last year and have set up a cozy
(i.e., little) lab in the local historical research center.  I work out
of a History Department; a couple of Colonial History colleagues out of
William and Mary know which end of a trowel is which, and like the way
their students get jazzed by fieldwork.

As an undergrad I worked on 18th century Colonial Chesapeake on the
Eastern Shore of Maryland, but I ran off to do early medieval Scotland
for my PhD (historical, but just barely).  When my coastal survey found
mainly 18th century and later material, I reluctantly accepted my fate.
Now I'm getting back into the Colonial Eastern Shore, but a century
earlier.  We worked on a nice late 17th century site for our field
school in 2002, and if I can find some funds, we hope to tackle another
one next summer.

This list has been a great source of information and intelligence (in
both senses of the word) for me as I get back into a more historical
mode and the American professional milieu (my forays into CRM were some
time ago, and as a shovelbum).  When I feel I have something to
contribute, you'll hear more from me.  I am pondering the economic
strategy for getting myself to York in 2005, with a side trip up to
Scotland to tie up some loose ends.

Cheers--

Elizabeth Ragan
Assistant Professor