HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marsha King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:02:59 -0500
I am posting this query for the archeology lab director at the Kansas
State Historical Society.

Laboratory processing, cataloging, and analysis of the massive artifact
collections recovered from extensive archeological investigations at
Fort Hays State Historic Site during the 1960s-1990s are currently
underway.  Fort Hays was an active US military fort from 1867 to 1889.

Two sherds of Rockingham/Bennington type brown & yellow glazed
earthenware ceramic have been found that appear to be from the same
vessel.  A partially visible caption on one sherd reads:  "J W Jackson /
The Traitor"

So far historical research & internet searches for "JW Jackson" have not
turned up any information about this "traitor."

KSHS has provided a scaned photo of the two sherds, but it is a rather
large (2 mb) jpg image.  I can e-mail it to you on request.  I do not
have an internet site available to post it on.

We would appreciate any information you might be able to provide about
"JW Jackson, the Traitor."

Thanks,
Marsha K. King, Archeologist II
Environmental Services Section
Bureau of Design
Kansas Department of Transportation
Docking State Office Building, 8th floor
915 SW Harrison
Topeka, KS   66612-1568

Phone -  785-296-8414
Fax   -  785-296-8399