HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 13:47:24 -0400
Dear Histarchers,

We've been having trouble filling our back page "Field Note" section with
suitable photographs, so I thought I would send this appeal to all of you:

You know that photo you have tacked up next to your computer? The one that
perfectly captures  the adventure, the frustration, the humor, the irony,
the awe of trying to understand the ancient world? Interested in sharing
that moment with people who can appreciate it? Archaeology Magazine is
seeking submissions for our Field Note department. "Field Notes" are
intriguing, poignant, sometimes humorous snapshots of professionals and
laypeople  who share their thoughts on the moment the photo was taken, and
how what they do contributes to a better understanding of archaeology and
the past. Previous Field Notes have included

-a volcanologist sets corn cobs into molten lava in an attempt to recreate
Native American "corn rocks" (July/August 2002).

-Quintus Darius Macro, a medical librarian who spends his weekends
reenacting the life of a Roman soldier, proudly poses in his armor
(January/February 2003).

-While conserving a statue of Aphrodite, a Turkish archaeologist recalls the
last sad days working on a soon-to-be-flooded site (September/October 2002)

An example of what we do can be found at
http://www.archaeology.org/fieldnote/

The aim of Field Note is to provide our readers-the majority of whom are not
professional archaeologists- with a compelling insight into the personal
side of archaeology, as well as to highlight non-archaeologists who make
important, and sometimes unusual contributions, to the field. If selected
for publication, we will pay $500 for your Field Note. For further
information, or to submit a Field Note, please contact us at

Thank you,
The Editors, Archaeology Magazine