HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Fran Bromberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 10:41:27 +0000
If you'd like to post this from me:

Re: reference in John Pearce's dissertation
Pearce writes:
(p.30):"The first major transformationof Baltimore pottery production began in 1794. In that year Thomas and Joel Morgan etablished their stoneware pottery on Pitt Street (1) ...
(p. 34-35): In 1794, when Thomas Morgan purchased the first part of his land (on which he conducted his stoneware pottery until at least 1837 (12)), the production of the new wares entered the Baltimore scene... From the Morgan pottery at Pitt and Green streets came two of the early Baltimore pieces we have today. Both pieces are utility tiems. One is a pitcher signed by one of the Morgans -- probably Thomas--and dated 1823. The other is a jar dated a year earlier and made by someone connected with the firm of Morgan and Amos, which operated briefly under Thomas Morgan's direction.
        Though the connection is not established, it may be that Thomas and Joel Morgan were relatives of the James Morgan who was the first stoneware potter in New Jersey (14).

(1) Baltimore County Land Records (Hall of Records, Annapolis. Liber W.G. nc. R.R., folios 81-82.
(12) Baltimore Directories...
(14) Early Arts of New Jersey, p. 21

Barbara H. Magid
Alexandria Archaeology