Fran Bromberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 10:41:27 +0000
Content-Type:
multipart/mixed
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (3089 bytes) , ALTERNATIVE.HTM (1642 bytes)
If you'd like to post this from me:

Re: reference in John Pearce's dissertation
Pearce writes:
(p.30):"The first major transformationof Baltimore pottery production began in 1794. In that year Thomas and Joel Morgan etablished their stoneware pottery on Pitt Street (1) ...
(p. 34-35): In 1794, when Thomas Morgan purchased the first part of his land (on which he conducted his stoneware pottery until at least 1837 (12)), the production of the new wares entered the Baltimore scene... From the Morgan pottery at Pitt and Green streets came two of the early Baltimore pieces we have today. Both pieces are utility tiems. One is a pitcher signed by one of the Morgans -- probably Thomas--and dated 1823. The other is a jar dated a year earlier and made by someone connected with the firm of Morgan and Amos, which operated briefly under Thomas Morgan's direction.
        Though the connection is not established, it may be that Thomas and Joel Morgan were relatives of the James Morgan who was the first stoneware potter in New Jersey (14).

(1) Baltimore County Land Records (Hall of Records, Annapolis. Liber W.G. nc. R.R., folios 81-82.
(12) Baltimore Directories...
(14) Early Arts of New Jersey, p. 21

Barbara H. Magid
Alexandria Archaeology
(703)838-4399
(703)838-6491 (fax)
www.AlexandriaArchaeology.org

Francine Bromberg
01/29/2003 10:06 AM

To:     Barbara Magid/Alex@Alex
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: 18th Century Stoneware Potter in Baltimore?

Here's a request from HISTARCH which I thought you might know something about.
F

Francine Bromberg
Alexandria Archaeology
105 N. Union Street
Alexandria, VA  22314
703-838-4399
FAX:  703-838-6491
----- Forwarded by Francine Bromberg/Alex on 01/29/2003 10:02 AM -----

[log in to unmask]
01/29/2003 07:49 AM

To:     [log in to unmask] @ INTERNET
        cc:     (bcc: Francine Bromberg/Alex)
        Subject:        Re: 18th Century Stoneware Potter in Baltimore?

I would like thank everyone who has sent me information concerning 18th century American stoneware.  I am stuck on two final potters.  The first is in Susan Myers' article "A survey of Traditional Pottery Manufacture in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern United States" in the 1977 CNEHA.   On page 9 she mentions stoneware was introduced to Baltimore by 1794 and references John Pearce's 1959 M.A. thesis from the University of Delaware.  There is no reference however to whom the potter was or what the pottery's name was.  The second is a stoneware pottery referred to as the "Morgan Shop" located in Bucks County, Pennsylvania.  The reference is from a letter from a now deceased early stoneware collector.  There is no first name or date for the pottery except 18th century.  Can anyone help me out?

Thanks Again

William B. Liebeknecht
Hunter Research Inc.
Trenton, New Jersey
(609) 695-0122

Francine Bromberg
Alexandria Archaeology
105 N. Union Street
Alexandria, VA  22314
703-838-4399
FAX:  703-838-6491

ATOM RSS1 RSS2