HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 20:55:19 -0500
    There is a lot of stuff on this: Charles Pratt is big name in the
education/assimilation efforts; what they tried to do is take the kids
off
the rez, cut their hair, beat them if they spoke their native tongue,
etc.
"Civilize" them.  Lots of do-gooders back then; organizations to help
them
formed along the east coast; a collective guilt hit the rich women who
had
nothing better to do with their time...(cynical view).
    My Indian books aren't organized right now, I'm attempting to finish
my
Braswell paper before I leave Wed. for two weeks, so I am short on
information right now.  Remind me again about Dec 15; I'll be in better
shape
to help you.  One book that comes to mind is Boarding School Seasons by
Brenda J. Child, about Indian boarding schools 1900-1940.  Also, if you
aren't already aware, there has been a big hub-bub the last few years
about
sexual abuse in Canadian Indian boarding schools...by priests (surprise,

surprise).  Check the University of Nebraska Press, University of
Oklahoma
Press....they have the most Indian titles.

geoff carver - SUNY buffalo
http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~gjcarver/