HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Elizabeth Norris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 16:40:46 -0800
Apologies for cross-posting.

Fellow archaeologists,

I am writing to you about a session I am organizing
 for the upcoming Society for Industrial Archeology
conference in NYC this June.

The session will be entitled "Ethical Responsibilities
 of Industrial Archaeologists to Local Communities."
 There will be a total of three papers presented on
 the following topics:

Adaptive Reuse & Community Concerns (Julie Kloss)
Successful Examples of Community Outreach (Alicia
 Valentino)
Responsibility to Communities With Toxic Wastes
 (unknown)

I am soliciting an author for the final topic listed
 above, or another appropriate topic regarding
 ethics, industrial archaeologists, and communities.
    For example, I hope to find someone with
experience
 in toxic sites, such as Butte, MT, who could write on
   how toxicity affected preservation or historic
development of the site. Other possibilities include

 the collection  of artifacts by community members
from    abandoned industrial sites, the pros and cons
of   public access issues for surrounding communities
to   old industrial sites, and the issues involved in
 hiring former miners or industrial workers as tour
guides at their former place of employment.

If anyone knows of such a person that would like to
 participate in this session, could you forward this
 message to them?  Or if any of you would like to
 contribute to this session, please contact me SOON.

Elizabeth Norris
 hm 906 483-8342
 wk 906 487-2648

Given Christmas break and everything, I've made a
 slow start on this, but still feel as if it is
possible to organize everything before the deadline
  for abstracts.  A session abstract (by myself) and
  individual paper abstracts (by each presenter) are
 due together by the end of this month. Again, the
sooner we get in contact, the better.

I'm looking forward to the SIA meeting this summer
 and hope that this session will stimulate some
 discussion regarding ethical issues unique to
industrial archaeology.

Thank you,

Elizabeth Norris
 MS Candidate, IA program