From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 10:26:35 -0600
Bill Blank wrote:

>I have Rach's own recordings of his piano concertos.  I would like to
>update to a modern recording by a Rachmaninov master, played with mature
>youthfulness.
>
>Suggestions are appreciated,

This is probably not a question best answered by someone obsessed by
Rachmaninoff's music and indeed I am...however...  one recording that
is unique and I believe to be of great interest, not just because it is
a curiosity, but because it give us the first glimpse of the original
version of the 4th concerto

An issue on Ondine which includes the first recording of the original
version of the 4th and, what I recall is the second recording of the
original version of the 1st.  Ashkenazy conducts.  For me, the original
version of the 4th makes more sense.  While the performance doesn't
really make it for me...how wonderful it would be if we could have a
performance on the level of the Michelangeli of the 2nd revised version
of the 4th...I find that the first performing version of the work shows
it in a light which makes it as fine a work as the Third Concerto.

Otherwise
While not the most recent sound...

No.1  Janis, Reiner
No.2  Kapell, Bernstein
No.3  so many and so little time...of historic interest, both the Kapell
and Horowitz Barbirolli performances.
No.4  Michelangeli

Karl