From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:54:20 -0500
Peter Lundin asks:

>Can someone here recomend a recording (dearly availible currently)
>of Herbert Howells "Concerto for String Orchestra" (My translation from
>the mentinioning by a Swedish morning show announcer a few min ago)

There are two I know of -- one from Chandos with Hickox, one from Hyperion
by Handley.  Both of them are quite good.  The Hickox features other
string works by Howells (Elegy for viola, string, quartet, and strings;
Suite for Strings; Serenade for Strings), while the Hyperion programs
the Piano Concerto No. 2 and the Dances for violin and orchestra.

Steve Schwartz