From:
Andrey Dorokhov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:27:52 +0300
Mike Leghorn wrote:

>A guy at work who sits across from me has a guitar which he sometimes
>picks up and plays (very well, btw.  For me, it's welcome entertainment.)
>I can usually identify what he's playing, and actually carry on an
>intelligent conversation with him about rock music from the 60s and 70s.
>We even talk about Jazz sometimes -- he once played the opening chords
>to "Kind'a Blue", which I was able to identify.  But...  he as absolutely
>no interest in classical music.  It's kind of funny, when we talk about
>music, there's a whole side to me, like the part of the iceberg under
>water, that he is blind to, i.e.  my world of classical music.

The interesting side of it could be that this guitarist does not aware
that classical music can be very entertaining.  He is not aware about
lots of masterpieces which could sound brilliant and at the same time
casual and entertaining for most of listening ears.  It's not just
"serious", (the majority of "populist" music lovers call classical music
"serious").  That is the wrong impression.  And frankly, classical music
lovers sometimes can not just entertain themselves with classical music,
could not listen it casually and do not know what to listen.

>I wonder about that too.  I've noticed that I have a better chance of
>recognizing a song played on a popular station than of recognizing a
>piece played on a classical station, even though my CD collection (which
>you could say represents my taste) is 99% classical.  (I've been into
>classical music for more than 30 years.)

Classic repertoire is huge, and you can not easily recognize pieces on
classical radio station.  Popular music plays almost the same, rounds
and rounds (for commercial reasons), so, you do not need much brain power
to see that this is this and that.

Regards

Andrey
Moscow, Russia