From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 15:08:05 +0000
   Robert Schumann(1810-1856)
      Waldszenen, Opus 82

Jorg Demus
Nuova Era 7319
Recorded 1989

I found this unexpected disc in my mailbox a few days ago, and I must say
it is such a pleasure to listen to an excellent Schmann performing artist
after the two Centaur versions I reviewed in Part 6.  The Demus complete
traversal of Schumann's solo piano works is a note-worthy accomplishment
as Demus is always well immersed in Schumann's soundworld.  My only complaint
is that the sound quality isn't really up to snuff, but Demus manages to
overcome consistently.

In Waldszenen, he is particularly idiomatic in the slower and more
contemplative scenes.  Best of all, he instills real foreboding and evil
in the 4th Scene just a little below the tremendous levels emanating from
Elisso.  I can't say that I'm bowled over by any the performances, but
each is very enjoyable.  That's very much in line with my conclusions about
other Demus performances on the various Nuova Era Schumann volumes -
excellent readings which rarely scale the heights.

Don's Conclusions: That's about it for reviews of Waldszenen.  The most
rewarding versions have come from Jegorov, Elisso, Arrau, and Richter.  If
I had to choose just one to live with, it would be Elisso on Live Classics
who best covers all the emotional themes of the work.

Don Satz