From:
Tim Horwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 14:24:44 +0100
Hector Aguilar wrote:

>Could this be because of stronger traditions of cultural appreciation
>for classical music in some of these European cities?  Perhaps the younger
>generations also have less to distract them, in terms of gimmicks.  Although
>I wouldn't doubt that pop stars are as successful abroad as over here, I
>wonder if marketing itself is stronger anywhere else than here in the
>U.S....

There was a programme on Victorian values and how they shaped current
behaviour.  It was said that the newly formed Victorian middle class
with a disposal income had to find out how to behave in what it deemed
it polite society.  One way was attend to classical concerts and be well
read.  I assume this has been handed down as a mark of civilised behaviour
though whether people bother with it quite so must now it another question.
Another mark of Victorian civilsed behaviour was using a fish knife and
pulling the fish apart, apparently cutting the fish with a knife was a
social no no.  Amazing what you learn on the TV!

Tim Horwood