From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 23:19:55 +0100
Eric Willstaedt reiterates his view:

>...  I think it would be a better gesture to have absolute silence on
>the air waves.  this would be a more profound response to the devastation
>of 9-11, plus people would notice the silence....
>
>Far better than self righteous and extremely shallow musical programs in
>my humble opinion.

And by so doing, those people who may not agree with your opinion and
who may wish to seek solace in music are denied the opportunity.  I'm not
sure that's fair and it sure as Hades ain't equable.  I'll defend your
right to an opinion -- and my right to disagree with it, in a civilised
fashion.  I also find it difficult to understand how you come to define
those programmes that you purportedly didn't listen to as self righteous
and extremely shallow.  I suspect this may be a sweepiong general;isation
based on little evidence and possibly hurtful to a large number of people,
which I presume you didn't mean but nonetheless...

I do not believe I am alone in turning to music in moments of great sadness
or joy.  The last thing I want is silence, which expresses nothing.

Tim Mahon
Who does not own a recording of 4'33"