From:
Dave Harman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 05:53:28 -0700
Larry Blaine wrote:

>The lowest note on a violin is a G.  With the standard tuning (440 Hz = A),
>that G is approximately 196 Hz.  In principle, there is no upper limit on
>any stringed instrument, but the high A at 3520 Hz, three octaves above the
>A string at 440 Hz, is about as high as violin music ever gets.

I guess my perception about the violin's highest note was not correct.
I thought the high G - shown off to great advantage in the violin cadenza
of the last movement of "Scheherazade" was the highest note of the violin.
After that, you had to use harmonics to go higher - as in the last movement
of the Elgar violin Concerto.

Incidentally, another very effective use of that high G on the Violin is
at the end of the 2nd movemont of the Roussel 2nd symphony - where the solo
violin works itself slowly up higher and higher to end of a beautiful high
G in a concluding E flat major chord.  Very effective.

Dave Harman
El Paso, TX