HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 1 May 2004 17:46:12 -0400
From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
In one survey along the properties taken to construct the St. Lawrence
Seaway, whose commission I have read they have moved into the historic Union
Hotel in Sacket's Harbor, NY, the cistern it seemed was inside the barn, and
in many cases roof water is carried to outlying cisterns adjacent to the
barn, perhaps installed inside to keep the water from freezing as long as
possible. Funny, the leased land had many cows still walking around (ear
tagged) nearby, so the land is still used apparently. The study was for the
New York Power Authority who maintains the half shared hydroelectric power
dam between the US and Canada near Massena, NY ("Massena is a town named
after Andre Massena, the general of Napoleon Bonaparte. It's first settlers
came in from Vermont...") part of the locks for Great Lake boats that ship
from Thunder Bay into the Atlantic Ocean that Walter Cronkite still narrates
the opening of from the Eisenhower locks visitor center from 1959. I have
not however seen many barns where that would be the case, perhaps another
use. I've read early silage actually started underground not in our towers?

George Myers