HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:29:44 -0400
From:
Timothy James Scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
I'm a bit uncomfortable with the manner in which we've approached this
subject.  The participants discussed this on two lists, so I've attached the
message at the top and responses beneath).

I'm not a member of any LDS community, but as an archaeologist who studies
the history of Mormon communities, I've worked closely with a number of LDS
scholars over the past five years.  One element of this thread has made me
uncomfortable is the idea that there is a single "Mormon way" of thought
regarding evolution or archaeology.  I know the original intent of Paul's
question was quite innocent, but I've been concerned about the manner in
which the discussion has developed.

LDS scholars hold diverse and quite sophisticated ideas on complex concepts
such as evolution, and that diversity extends into the broader context of
LDS communities.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has an
archaeology unit, including archaeologist T. Michael Smith.  The main
concern of this archaeology unit is to provide compliance and guidance on
historic-sites archaeology projects undertaken as part of the church's
official restoration program.  The archaeologists working in this unit do
research and write reports and face exactly the same challenges and
opportunities as other archaeologists working for groups like the NPS
historic sites or religious shrines.  Important contributions to the
intellectual history of Historical Archaeology in the United States derive
from such projects, including the Nauvoo Temple project initially led by
Virginia and Pinky Harrington, for example.  Ben Pykles, who posted below,
completed a Thesis under this overall program.

At the same time, Brigham Young University includes archaeology faculty.
These archaeologists have in the past undertaken research in Mesoamerica and
around the world seeking evidence of the stories contained in the Book of
Mormon, but this endeavor fell away over the last thirty years.  I have not
worked very closely with the biblical or Mesoamerican archaeologists at BYU,
but I don't find their current research too far removed from other biblical
and classical archaeology.  One final point, these archaeologists at BYU are
like faculty at any  major religious college- they have complete academic
freedom in determining the directions of their research.  I do not wish to
minimize the importance of LDS faith in each person's life, but I want to
dispel the idea that there is some kind of LDS cabal holed up in a smoke
filled room plotting to construct a subversive master narrative!

University of Utah and Utah State tend to be epicenters of evolution-driven
archaeology.  At the same time, they undertake prehistoric archaeology
exclusively and are distinctively Non-Mormon universities.  Since the
retirement of Dale Berge, BYU no longer maintains a visible research program
in historic archaeology either.  Generally speaking in the state, there is a
powerful and seriously flawed boundary between the scientifically-driven
archaeology of Native American history and the preservation-based mitigation
of historic sites.  This is a critical problem that deserves a separate
discussion in a different thread.

Regarding teaching evolution, I've found a number of very diverse positions
on the subject.  Some of these positions have been expressed below, but we
must all keep in mind that archaeology and evolution inhabit important
socio-political contexts.  The article cited by tanithastarte@yahoo below,
for example, is reprinted on a web site maintained by a group dedicated to
converting the Mormons to save them from damnation.

We should even keep in mind that there are several "official" churches
related to the main Latter-Day Saint church, including the RLDS (reformed
LDS) as the largest group.  The church also contains a tremendous diversity
of ethnic groups- from Samoans to Native Americans.

I suspect that school curricula often respond to local needs, so districts
will vary from one community to another.  I've spoken with students with
quite solid understanding of evolutionary biology and geological history.
At the same time, I've dug in a pit while the students visiting above spoke
of Jesus and the Dinosaurs.  Each town often included a very different
atmosphere.  Keep in mind that the "official" position held by the Church
leaders in SLC, academic positions held by BYU scholars, and real-world
perspectives in each community will vary.  Even when reciting history, the
"official" church museum narratives often diverge from the stories presented
in the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers museums around the Mormon Domain, and
the articles written by LDS scholars who contribute to state division of
history publications.

I suppose that we'd frame these questions very differently if we asked "What
is the official position of Blacks/Baptists on teaching evolution..." or
"What do Lesbians think of evolution?"  I know that Paul's original post was
not intended to be essentialist or stereotypical, but I've found this
dichotomizing framework quite frustrating in recent years.

My best,
Tim Scarlett