HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Ed Otter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 23:44:22 +0000
I documented a WWII radar station in Delaware.  It was originally designated as a temporary radar site but it was converted to a permanent installation.  when I arrived all of the concrete block buildings were still in place except for one guard shack (6'x6').

Also, I conducted research on an airfield that was built during WWII.  It is now a public airfield.  while construction was done for the army, the field was originally "rented" by the navy but construction was done through the Civil Aeronautics Administration.

The national archives should have documentation on your site if you can find it.  I found original plans, acquistion maps, and other good resources for these installations

Ed Otter
> Hi--
>
> Has anyone on the list done any research or documentation of World War II
> military camps?  Specifically we are looking at a semi-permanent camp
> established on Ascension Island (middle of the Atlantic Ocean) for construction
> of the airfield in 1942.  The camp had tents but with rock around the edges and
> rock-lined paths (rock is abundant on Ascension--nothing else is) and various
> other somewhat permanent features.  We would like some comparative data if it is
> out there.

Thanks--Lucy Wayne