HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:39:58 +0000
From:
Dennis Piechota <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
The Epson P2000, 5000, 7000 etc. use pigmented inks- no dyes- for
permanence. There are now specialty black and white photo-proccessers
printing large format images on these Epson printers. Time will tell. Right
now they are not as good as silver based images in tonality and permanence
but they are good.

If you use an Epson printer you must use Epson-brand archival paper with the
Epson pigmented inks- it's not just a scam to sell their product. There are
unpredictable chemical interactions between coated archival photo papers and
inks of different manufacturers. Companies test their own products for
compatibility and can't control other manufacturers' formulas.

'Archivability' and 'accessibility' compete with one another and
accessibility seems to be winning. We should learn to write great detailed
captions for our digital images.

Dennis Piechota
Conservator
Fiske Center for Archaeological Research
University of Massachusetts at Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd.
Boston, MA 02125-3393
TEL: 617-287-6829