HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 08:42:28 -0600
From:
Cindy Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Our local library selection of audio books is small, but I have listened to
the following books and would recommend all:

Timeline, by Michael Crichton (for pure entertainment, of course)

The Arcanum by Janet Gleeson (the story behind the development of porcelain
in Europe--very fascinating storytelling)

The Map That Changed the World : William Smith and the Birth of Modern
Geology by Simon Winchester

and a bit further afield from historic archaeology, but still a fascinating
story and in the cultural anthro realm:

The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity and the Making of
the Oxford English Dictionary, also by Simon Winchester (Wow! Who thinks
about the amount of  work it took to make "The" dictionary?)

Cindy Peterson

Project  Archaeologist
Office of the State Archaeologist
700 CLSB