HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:11:03 -0700
From:
I second Bob's excellent suggestions! This is not a moderated list, so I
count on everyone to keep things civil and in line. If you have a problem,
feel free to e-mail me at [log in to unmask]

Histarch has always been a calm list when compared to Sub-Arch!

At 11:04 AM 9/15/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Some SUGGESTIONS on Using HISTARCH:
>
>          I would like to make some suggestions for those using this
>excellent and informative list. Recently a number of
>people have "jumped on" other subscribers for asking too simplistic
>questions or getting off topic (historical archaeology).
>I do not think the type of question or the subject are the problem. Rather
>it is how we use the list.
>
>Suggestions:
>
>(1) When you come on the list have a specific question or point. [It makes
>no difference if it is about an artifact
>          or about the "meaning of historical archaeology in the universe."
>But be specific.]
>
>(2) Do NOT answer each person who tries to help you by commenting on your
>question.  Do not comment on each comment! Especially do not say, "I agree"
>or "Thank you, I  ..". This type of reflex comment is, I think, the real
>problem on HISTARCH.
>
>(3) Wait until some time has passed and then come on and thank all the
>commentators. If you really have a follow-up
>statement, all right, but be conservative about keeping the conversation
>going (= Dead Horse phenomenon).
>
>(4) You can always talk to another HISTARCH subscriber off-list by emailing
>them directly.  However, do not take
>everything off-list as the rest of us may want to learn about the subject
>also. It all involves judgement.
>
>          All of the above are only suggestions (both to you and to
>myself!). However, I am concerned that too many
>comments will so plug up HISTARCH that most subscribers will start to hit
>the "delete" button for all messages
>on the list. They will be overwhelmed by the massive number of messages.
>
>                                                  Bob Schuyler

Anita Cohen-Williams
Search Engine Optimizer/Guru
http://www.mysearchguru.com
"Get Your Web Site Noticed!"

Listowner of HISTARCH, SUB-ARCH, & SPANBORD
Archaeology Online Blog (web log)
http://archaeology.blogspot.com