HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:04:09 -0400
From:
"Robert L. Schuyler" <[log in to unmask]>
Some SUGGESTIONS on Using HISTARCH:

         I would like to make some suggestions for those using this
excellent and informative list. Recently a number of
people have "jumped on" other subscribers for asking too simplistic
questions or getting off topic (historical archaeology).
I do not think the type of question or the subject are the problem. Rather
it is how we use the list.

Suggestions:

(1) When you come on the list have a specific question or point. [It makes
no difference if it is about an artifact
         or about the "meaning of historical archaeology in the universe."
But be specific.]

(2) Do NOT answer each person who tries to help you by commenting on your
question.  Do not comment on each comment! Especially do not say, "I agree"
or "Thank you, I  ..". This type of reflex comment is, I think, the real
problem on HISTARCH.

(3) Wait until some time has passed and then come on and thank all the
commentators. If you really have a follow-up
statement, all right, but be conservative about keeping the conversation
going (= Dead Horse phenomenon).

(4) You can always talk to another HISTARCH subscriber off-list by emailing
them directly.  However, do not take
everything off-list as the rest of us may want to learn about the subject
also. It all involves judgement.

         All of the above are only suggestions (both to you and to
myself!). However, I am concerned that too many
comments will so plug up HISTARCH that most subscribers will start to hit
the "delete" button for all messages
on the list. They will be overwhelmed by the massive number of messages.

                                                 Bob Schuyler

At 08:30 AM 9/15/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Daniel H. Weiskotten said:
>"OK, it seems we have strayed out of the realm of soil in this lumber
>thread, although it has been very interesting and does have considerable
>interest to those of us that do historic building surveys, but it has been
>a long time since I actually excavated a 2x4."
>
>For those of us who work "in the woods", lumber and logging technology, and
>everything asociated with getting the trees from the forest to the lumber
>yards, IS as much archaeology as all the artifacts in a domestic or any
>other site type.
>
>:-)
>
>Smoke.
>

>Smoke (Michael A.) Pfeiffer, RPA
>Ozark-St. Francis National Forests
>605 West Main Street
>Russellville, Arkansas 72801
>(479) 968-2354  Ext. 233
>e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
>
>It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Robert L. Schuyler
University of Pennsylvania Museum
33rd & Spruce Streets
Philadelphia, PA l9l04-6324