HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:29:46 -0400
From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
On Monday, September 15, 2003, at 09:48 AM, Kris Oswald wrote:

> One question to the list...back in high school my woodshop teacher told
> me a story of a lumber mill stopping production one day due to the saw
> binding on something embedded in the tree...the story as it was told
> that the object turned out to be lithic arrowhead...has anybody ever
> heard of this happening?..or did I get sucked up into a big yarn?

As the resident archaeologist amongst a bunch of friends, I was called
into ID a Savannah River projectile point which had been found embedded
in a tree. The tree was about 2' diameter and of maple, so it was
concluded that it was deposited in the tree by means other than Native
American placement.

Lyle Browning