HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 17:47:52 -0400
From:
"Robert L. Schuyler" <[log in to unmask]>
I do not want to reopen the debate which has been aired a number of times
on HISTARCH over history-based historical archaeology
and anthropology-based historical archaeology. I stand with anthropology
although I agree with the point that archaeologists need
to do much more with secondary historical scholarship (e.g. read books by
historians [they write 90% of the important ones on most historic time
periods and topics], belong to the historical associations,  and use more
broadly based continuing approaches to primary written sources). At the
same time I would endorse Mike Polk's statement. However, it also needs to
be pointed out
that anthropological archaeology was never limited to prehistory. Such
scholars also studied ancient literate civilizations ranging
from Mesopotamia through the Maya to the Indus Valley Civilization. This
tradition goes back to the 19th century.

More importantly since the 1960s many undergraduates have been first
introduced to archaeology in the context of historical
archaeology (i.e. archaeology of the modern world) rather than prehistoric
studies. Simply mentioning the fairly massive sales
of James Deetz' two books (Invitation to Archaeology - and - In Small
Things Soon Forgotten) within an academic context
across the last thirty years makes this point.

The case of the University of Pennsylvania, since it involves three
different traditions, is perhaps revealing. Historical Archaeology
was first encouraged and build within the context of the Department of
American Civilization [an anthropological version of
American Studies], not in History or in Anthropology although the key
person, John Cotter, was very much an anthropologist.
Historical Archaeology flourished in that context and has continued to do
so with its partial move into a more tolerant
Anthropology Department. In Am Civ students had a nice combination of
American history and an anthropological tradition. However these scholars
were not standard "historians". They were either from the American
Civilization tradition itself [Murray Murphey, Tony Garvan, Mel Hammarberg,
Drew Faust] or from other fields [e.g. Henry Glassie from
Folklore-Folklife, Don Yoder - same department, Anthony Wallace -
Anthropology and ethnohistory, or members of the Historic Preservation
Program].

We were never able to build any bridges to the History Department and there
are no such connections to this day. I truly
believe that there are deep differences in the orientation of most of the
discipline of history and those of anthropology
(or related fields such as Am Civ or Folklore-Folklife or Cultural
Geography) that makes archaeology, including historical
archaeology, a much better fit with that field. Individual historians from
a Herb Gutman (American social history) to
Lynn White (medieval history) as far as I am concerned only demonstrate
this pattern more clearly as exceptions.

This is true in American scholarship. It may, of course, be different in
those traditions where anthropology did not exist
until recently or where a more "antiquarian"  (e.g. viewing material
culture as equally important as documents) point of view
was still accepted.

                                         R.L. Schuyler,  Esq.

Robert L. Schuyler
University of Pennsylvania Museum