HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2003 15:14:16 -0400
While working in Skagway Alaska on a contact site the Moore Cabin site I had
the opportunity to stay a short while at a youth hostel in Juneau, the state
capital, back in the days when Alaska had three time zones. One of the
places  I visited on foot was the native Alaskan Bingo Hall there which was
quite full and had a small exhibit case in the "lobby" which contained a few
small "coppers" for with the Northwest Coast is known for, having formally
been part of trade networks and other ceremonies I am thinking perhaps this
artifact is a "proto copper" that is a "blank" before it was hammered out
and worked into a ceremonial object. It would be about the right size for
those that I saw in the Juneau bingo hall. "Native" copper was collected and
hammered into objects in the Northeast out in prehistoric times the "Glacial
Kame" culture and others I have seen as projectile points perhaps from
copper sources in New Jersey or Connecticut. One in Connecticut became a
cave prison under British rule.

George Myers