HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Ned Heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 May 2003 07:09:09 -0400
Being completely ignorant of Australian cultural resource law, I can
offer only an American perspective.  When a major dredging project is
proposed here, we tend to be as concerned about onshore impacts and
underwater impacts beyond the immediate dredging.  Have you
considered the effect of increased wave action from ship traffic on
shoreline sites? How about the spoil disposal areas? Also, there are
the impacts underwater but outside the channel itself. The dredging
activity and consequent increased traffic might disturb wrecks and
other sites far outside the immediate impact area.

I've worked on a few of these, where the archaeological impact
assessments went well outside the muck on the bottom of the stream.

--
Ned

Continued availability of McSorley's Ale and Yuengling's Porter is
comforting reassurance that intelligent life may yet be found on the
same planet that harbors George Bush and John Ashcroft.