HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:58:59 -0400
I really don't know. However, the "grillage" built in the Foundry Cove to be
topped by R.P. Parrott's gun platform (of which there is drawings, an
assemblage of one found in context within the Foundry Cove by Grossman, et
al) in the marsh in South Carolina an amazing bit of "waterwork". I suppose
the rifled barrels of the Parrot guns and his innovation of "wrapping" the
barrel for strength (a very characteristic band of iron around the back end
of the barrel), though the one in the marsh in South Carolina did explode,
(and continued to be used, investigated by the Franklin Institute) they were
also mounted shipboard
with some sort of embedded rail in the deck to carry the real of their
carriages with an x in the rail to switch from port to starboard. The USS
Kearsarge sinking the CSS Alabama off of Cherbourg, France and reparations
paid by the British for building it in a treaty negotiated in Switzerland. I
had the pleasure of working with Gordon Watts, Ph.D. now retired from E.
Carolina University, I read, who "discovered" the USS Monitor and also dove
and located the CSS Alabama I think, though media coverage later shows
others involved.

I worked on the "discovery" of R.P. Parrot's gun platform and not the
research so I'm still wondering about it to0. Rutsch et al had done research
on it though the West Point Foundry (across the Hudson from the Academy and
once a large industrial town of iron making) records are said to be still
"classified" perhaps as other developments took place there ("incendiaries,"
"dynamite guns", other explosives, and other 19th century
developments)curiously left out of the general history of other iron
industries (building support columns, elevated train, bridges, building
decorations, "tin roofs" boilers, etc.)

I have also read a Southern US folktale in which "Swamp Angel" is the female
equivalent to "Paul Bunyan" and helped the wagons out of the swamp and over
the Appalachians to the American West.