HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Stephen Rutherford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 13:33:15 +0100
At 15:14 03/10/02 -0300, you wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone has references to the use of wood shavings to line
>the interior of coffins? I recently carried out a salvage of a coffin
>discovered under a church and, while skeletal preservation was extremely
>poor due to the wet conditions and weight of the clay in-fill, the coffin
>was in very good shape. The bottom of the coffin was covered in what appear
>to be wood shavings. Some recovered jewellery indicates that this was a
>young girl of German descent who died in 1773 and was recorded as being
>buried under the church.
>Thanks for your help.
>Laird Niven
>Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Hi Im only getting to read this now.

Im working in mortuaries all over now and alongside with various
undertakers and embalmers.
Its interesting but most coffins even today will be padded either with wood
shavings, some has saw dust but many use shredded paper and others have
what you would describe as cut up rags and news papers.

If only the dead can speak? Im sure there would be volumes of whats down
below.

Stephen.