Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 18:46:24 -0700
From:
Art Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Michel Salle wrote:

>Having listened to Janacek's Capriccio for piano (left hand) played by
>Jean-Efflam Bavouzet and directed by Pierre Boulez, my wife asked me:
>"I know of many piano works for the left hand, is there any for the
>right hand?" I was unable to answer ; and you?  If not, why?

The 6th Sonata of Sophie-Carmen Eckhardt-Gramatte (1952) has the same
plan as Alkan's Op. 76 Etudes.  The first movement is for the left
hand alone, the second for the right alone, the third for both hands in
contrary motion.  It's been recorded by Hamelin -- who else?  -- and I
heard him perform it in London.

Art Scott
Livermore, Cal