Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 13:16:34 -0400
From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Over the last few days I have been making the acquaintance of Michael
Tippett via an EMI disc in their British Composers series. I have been
very pleasantly surprised. The disc contains his Fantasia on a theme of
Corelli, the first string quartet, a Piano Concerto and two sonatas (all
played by John Ogden) and the Concerto for Double String Orchestra.

The music is rhythmically very interesting. While tonal it is also
harmonically inventive. It makes use of English folk themes (and the
notes say also some of his own opera themes) but it never sounds provincial.

I'd say my favorites were the Concerto for Double Strings and the piano
sonatas--each of which is quite distinctive.  I'm not sure how he fits
in with other British (or American) composers of the twentieth century
since I haven't seen much about him. But I am very happy to have made
his acquaintance and will be on the lookout for more by him.

"Ed Zubrow" <[log in to unmask]>