From:
Rick Drutchas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rick Drutchas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 08:45:03 -0500
Hi all, I went to an interesting talk last night by Bernt Hiendrich. He collected dead bees in the snow that where over one hundred yards from their hive and found that many of them had not voided their waste. From this observation he has summized that bees fly out in the winter not only to void wastes but also to look for early blooms, even in the middle of the cold winter. I wonder why a bee wouldnt dump as soon as it leaves the hive, are these bees sick? Could it be that this waste is used as a heat sink to help keep warm during winter flights?