From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 13:02:09 -0700
>>>I would have liked to have said the above in the last T mite
discussion on BEe-L but what does a lowly beekeeper know. I have got
friends in the south which fight T mites all the time but yet T mites
are not a serious problem in the south as stated by researchers on
BEE-L(or are they?). <<

I heard that too.  I also heard very high ranked researcher comment that
T-mites don't kill hives in the south quite the way they do in the
north, but that they do take quite a toll.  I also heard another
industry expert (one you all know) say that there are strains of bees
that just will not live long in the south due to TM.

I also recollect that in the Primorsky bee project, T-mites were serious
in domestic stock in Iowa, but -- if I recall correctly -- not even on
the radar in Mississippi.  Seems that, as with almost everything to do
with bees, local conditions can have a huge influence.  (Isn't that the
one big lesson we have leaned by hanging aropund BEE-L?)

allen
My website is undergoing massive renovations today, so if you don't get
what you ask for, come back tomorrow.