From:
Judy & Dave Gaida <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 15:12:47 -0500

> From: Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: 2003/01/05 Sun AM 11:49:52 EST
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [BEE-L] refined sugar health risks

 Hard to prove but case studies of diabetes people
> *seems* to point to refined sugar as a cause of diabetes.

Hi Bob and all my beekeeper friends.

There she goes, running, running, and jumps right in.

As a Type 1 Diabetic for almost 30 years now:  for background, I take a minimum of 6 injections of insulin a day.  I use 2 different types of insulin, one longlasting which is to deal with the body needing energy to breathe and think, all day, even if I am asleep.  The fast acting one is to "cover" or take care of CARBS that are eaten during the day.

In order for our cells to make energy they need insulin.  Imagine a cell as a room with a locked door.  When a carb tries to enter the cell to supply energy, it is locked out.  Insulin comes along and opens the door by converting carbs, or other, to energy.  This energy can come from many sources:  carbohydrates, protein, fat, even body fat or muscle.

Carbohydrates, as an energy source, require a lot of insulin immediately.  Protein, fats, etc. can be eaten one day and not available to be energy, nor need any insulin to convert, until a day later.  Sugar, honey, corn syrup, maple syrup, all of them, are carbohydrates.  It is the carbohydrate that is the problem for diabetics - Type 1 or Type 2 (type 2 usually can control their diabetes with diet, exercise or pills.)

Refined white sugar is not the cause of diabetes.  No way, shape or form.  There was a period in time when this idea was embraced.  No longer.  If you were to research any of the large food governing or related groups, (American Diabetes Assoc., American Heart, FDA, etc) you will find that their recommendations for a healthy diet has been changed in the last 2 years or so.  Less carbs.  There are carbs in sugar, honey, pasta, bread, potatoes, fruit, vegetables, meat, dairy, etc.  Some Type 2 diabetics can eat pizza, some can eat ice cream.  It is an individual problem as to which carb causes a rise in blood glucose.

Type 1 diabetics figure out how much insulin their body needs to keep their blood sugar in a normal range.  The way we figure this is by determining the 'INSULIN TO CARB' ratio. We don't count fats, protein, etc.  Just carbs.  This is where the individual problem comes in.  Some diabetics may have a 1 to 15 (normal) insulin to carb ratio.  Others may have a 1 to 2 insulin to carb ratio.  But it is always carbs.

If you check the label, both sugar and honey have the same number of carbs per serving.  Same.  No difference.

Sorry, Bob, but you can't use us diabetics as an excuse to increase honey consumption vs. white sugar.  (I do use honey when I miscalculate and take too much insulin and need a quick glucose boost.)

I would be willing to conduct an experiment for us.  My body makes no insulin.  (Type 2s usually have some, not enough or too weak)  I could eat a tablespoon of sugar and track my blood glucose for an hour, by testing every 5 minutes or so. Then take insulin to get back to normal.  Then I could eat a tablespoon of honey and track my blood glucose for an hour, by testing every 5 minutes or so.  My fingers will hurt, but I think it would be well worth it.

Please, as beekeepers, NEVER tell your customers that it is OK for diabetics to use honey.  Tell them that, if they count their carbs, they can absolutely count honey into their meals.

I am not an expert at very many things, but diabetes, yeah, I am an expert. I have to be.  Magazines and radio shows do not help me to control my disease.  Just trial and error and resulting expertise.

Judy in Kentucky, USA