From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 08:49:39 -0600
Hello James & All,

Thanks to James for presenting the sugar lobby point of view.   If  I
believed that the use of refined sugar over a long period of time was not
harmful I might have posted the same information as my friend James.

I respect Jim & Keith's opinion but believe the opposite. I am sure we can
"agree to disagree".

The refined sugar debate is similar to cigarettes as far as science goes.

example:

The highest incidence of lung cancer is in people which smoke cigarettes.

Science (and the tobacco lobby AT ONE TIME SAID) says "there is NO PROOF
smoking causes lung cancer".

The highest incidence of diabetes is in people which consume refined sugar.

Science (and the sugar lobby) say (for now) "there if no proof the use of
refined sugar causes diabetes.

The refined sugar business is huge compared to beekeeping and the sale of
honey (and those sugar barons plan on keeping the Lion's share of the
business). Rough estimate from recent figures:

AVERAGE American  ingests  100 pounds of refinned sugar per year.

Average American use of honey is about one pound per year.

I would like to see the refined sugar and pure honey average use  reversed.

100 pounds of honey use and one pound per year of refined white sugar use
would in my opinion be a healthier choice.

Take a five pound bag of sugar and pour out about half the bag. Quite a load
for your body to handle EACH WEEK!

Bob

Ps. Please do not get me started on Apartame use in diet drinks.

Aspartame is only still in use because of the large soft drink producers and
their fuzzy science! Coca Cola refused to use Aspartame in the 80's (at
first) because of well known health risks.