From:
Laurence Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:18:37 -0400
At the risk of incurring a law suit, I thought I'd share an article from
today's Wall Street Journal about the life of a symphony orchestra in China.

   Chinese Orchestra Is Seeking Harmony Under a New Baton
   After Two Decades in U.S., Li Xiaolu Comes Home to Ensemble in Disarray

   By LESLIE CHANG
   Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

   BEIJING -- The trumpet and the tuba were still smarting from a fight
   over who played too loudly at a concert a year ago. The heads of
   several instrument sections were lobbying for fancier titles. On his
   first visit to China after being named principal conductor of the
   national orchestra, Li Xiaolu found himself surrounded by discord.

   Mr. Li, a 44-year-old Shanghai native, returned to China in January
   following two decades as a conductor of community orchestras in U.S.
   cities.  He wore a blue pinstriped suit, spoke in a booming voice and
   used his meaty hands for emphasis as he discussed his dream of restoring
   harmony to an orchestra shaken by years of dissonance.

   "For young people, for government officials, to sit in a concert hall
   and listen to all these people who have different ideas playing one
   piece of music, creating harmony, it is so important for them to see,"
   Mr. Li said.  He felt that was something Chinese society had been
   missing in the past two decades as economic reforms fostered self-interest
   and sometimes made it difficult for people to work together.  [Li]

   China's National Symphony Orchestra, like many of the country's
   institutions, has been buffeted by the sharp policy shifts that
    have marked the contours of life in China in the past half-century.
   Established in 1956 and funded by the government, the orchestra
   initially sought to build a repertoire of Western classical music.
   But during the 1966-76 Cultural Revolution, such music was attacked
   for its bourgeois associations. The orchestra survived by playing a
   set list of symphonic pieces with Chinese revolutionary themes.

   When the upheaval subsided, there was little chance to regroup and
   rebuild.  Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping approved market reforms in
   1979, setting off an economic boom that left many cultural institutions
   behind. Many musicians went abroad for study. The national orchestra
   struggled with dwindling audiences. Starting in 1996, it endured two
   painfully unsuccessful repair efforts by Western-trained Chinese
   conductors whose radical shakeups created turmoil.

   By the time Mr. Li arrived in January, he faced an ensemble whose
   members had grown cynical from watching maestros fly in with radical
   treatments that cured little, only to depart amid rumors and
   recriminations. The orchestra had been rudderless for 15 months and
   had lost a third of its musicians, including principals in most of
   the woodwind and string sections. Many had gone to the rival China
   Philharmonic, which offered bigger salaries. There was no musical
   calendar, and neither the musicians nor the public knew more than a
   week or two in advance where the orchestra would be performing.

   "We are placing a lot of hopes in Conductor Li, but the task is hard," said
   Deng Chuan, a violinist who has played in the orchestra for a decade. "Right
   now, hearts are not at peace. People want to know: If I stay, will my best
   years be wasted on this stage?"

   The orchestra's first would-be savior had been U.S.-educated Chen Zuohuang,
   who was named chief conductor and artistic director in 1996. He instituted
   daily rehearsals and invited well-known guest conductors. He introduced the
   concept of a musical season, which laid out the year's schedule of concerts
   in advance.

   He also fired a chorus, a chamber-music group and full-time soloists. And he
   inaugurated something that had never been seen in China before: Auditions
   for all new and existing members, with pay based on merit rather than
   seniority.

   Veteran musicians were humiliated at having to audition for seats
   they had held for decades. More than half of the existing members
   didn't make the cut or left, taking with them both the institutional
   memory and the musical rapport of experienced players. To those who
   remained, the competition was brutal. Members say that musicians would
   inform on their fellows to the conductor when someone played badly.

   "There was no sense of cohesion in the orchestra. People were coming
   and going all the time," says a violinist.

   The opponents of change struck back. Anonymous letters charging that
   Mr. Chen was financially corrupt were sent to would-be donors. Funding
   dried up.  The media attacked in articles questioning his loyalty to
   China. He left in 2000, saying in an interview after his resignation,
   "This is not work that can be completed in a single generation."

   His successor, Tang Muhai, a protege of the late Herbert von Karajan,
   sought to broaden the orchestra's repertoire and bring in more
   international guest artists. But he clashed repeatedly with an orchestra
   director appointed by the Ministry of Culture, a former official with
   little experience in classical music. Articles attacked Mr. Tang for
   an extravagant lifestyle. He left after only a year.

   Before Mr. Li arrived, some orchestra members had speculated that he
   got the job only by arranging for a large chunk of money to be donated
   to the orchestra. Mr. Li says this isn't true. Others said the post
   was a mere steppingstone that he would abandon as soon as he got a
   better offer. Mr. Li says he has a "short term" contract with the
   orchestra but he is considering staying on longer. He says he was
   flooded with congratulatory phone calls from musicians who tried to
   lobby him on issues such as salaries.

   Cultural Differences

   On his first day in China, Mr. Li tackled cultural differences. In a
   meeting with the orchestra's top administrators, he highlighted some
   of those differences, steeling himself and his new colleagues for the
   inevitable clashes to follow. Americans like people who talk freely,
   while Chinese don't. Americans favor confrontation, while Chinese
   don't. Americans readily acknowledge mistakes, while Chinese find it
   more difficult. "They responded very well to it," Mr. Li said on the
   evening of his first day, sipping jasmine tea in a luxury hotel in
   Beijing.

   Born in 1958 to a musical family, Mr. Li left home at age 14 during
   the Cultural Revolution to play violin first in China's naval orchestra
   and later with the Shanghai Symphony Orchestra. He left China in 1983
   to attend the Cleveland Institute of Music. He has since gained a
   reputation in the U.S. as the energetic builder of orchestras in
   Lafayette, La.; Bangor, Maine; and New London, Conn. He still conducts
   for the Bangor and New London orchestras.

   In China, he is unknown, and he has to some extent lost touch with
   his homeland. He often fumbles in speaking Chinese, trying to use
   complicated classical sayings and then relying on whoever is around
   to supply the correct one. His effusiveness is distinctly un-Chinese.
   When he was a guest conductor of the national orchestra last year,
   his boisterous praise put people on edge. "They played well, so I
   said 'Bravo!' " Mr. Li says now. "I heard a lot of people came back
   and wondered, 'Why does he say that? We're not that good.' "

   But Mr. Li can be shrewder than he appears. On the second day of his
   January visit, Mr. Li's first meeting was with Wang Lilan, who heads
   the orchestra's "old cadres department." It takes care of 500 retired
   musicians and staffers, many of whom still live in orchestra-owned
   housing behind its white-tile office building in downtown Beijing.
   These retirees have no official role, but they possess enough clout
   to block change.

   Mr. Li asked if Lunar New Year greetings had been sent to the retirees
   yet.  Ms. Wang said no. Mr. Li suggested that greeting cards be sent,
   wishing the retirees good health and asking them to fill out a form
   recalling their fondest orchestra memories. "When I am at home in
   Shanghai, my parents often receive calls from the old cadres," he
   said. It was a canny reference, telling the staff that he was still
   one of them and not an interloper from abroad, though he hasn't lived
   in Shanghai for 20 years.

   Guo Shan, the orchestra's deputy director who was sitting in on the
   meeting, jumped in: "Let's do it today. They will get the cards by
   New Year, when their family is all around. From now on, let's do
   something the moment we say we will." Ms. Guo, an ex-pianist with a
   fine-boned face and an imperious manner, is crucial to the execution
   of any new plans.

   Mr. Li next asked the orchestra's chief of staff, Wang Tie, to write
   down a job description of every person on the staff. Ms. Wang, a
   middle-age former mezzo-soprano with tightly permed gray hair, was
   bewildered: Write down every single thing each person does? It took
   Mr. Li 10 minutes to explain the concept of a job description --
   details that separate the position from the person occupying the post.

   "I feel that our past problems were because things were not written
   down clearly," he told her. "So in the future, when we have conflicts,
   we can refer to these written descriptions."

   Late in the afternoon, after dripping a solution into eyes bleary
   from jet lag, he sat down with Tian Zhenlin, who was in charge of
   artistic administration. The orchestra desperately needed to build
   up its box-office receipts and cut back on the extensive giveaways
   that were filling seats.  Mr. Li also wanted to broaden the audience
   exposed to orchestral music. He suggested two short concerts on
   Children's Day in June to bring in a young audience. He planned a
   summer outdoor concert, Beijing's first taste of such an event with
   a full symphony. He envisioned refrigerator magnets with the season
   calendar printed on them and an opening-night fund-raising gala for
   big donors. The orchestra depends on funding from Chinese and Western
   companies for the bulk of its $2.1 million annual budget, which puts
   it at the level of a regional American orchestra.

   After another day of meetings, Mr. Li headed back to the U.S. "I'm
   afraid I will not get results that fast, and it will disappoint
   people," he said. He figured he had about nine months to prove himself.

   In the ensuing weeks, the New Year's greetings went out. Many retirees
   wrote back sharing their memories and treasured old photographs. The
   orchestra's concertmaster traveled to New York to perform in a concert
   under the arrangement of Mr. Li. The national orchestra joined the
   American Symphony Orchestra League, a grouping of 850 orchestras in
   the U.S. and abroad.  Inquiries from record companies and music agents
   began to arrive, exploring possible collaboration. Ms. Guo, the deputy
   director, traveled to the U.S., where she and Mr. Li recruited music
   lovers and potential sponsors to a new "Friends of the National
   Symphony Orchestra," a nonprofit organization they set up in the U.S.
   to raise money and promote exchanges between American and Chinese
   musicians.

   Ms. Guo, who visited Mr. Li several times last year while assessing
   his fitness for the post, was clearly won over. "For a long time, I
   thought he was just a dreamer, someone who talked big and indulged
   in fantasies," she confided, looking refreshed and energized on an
   afternoon in late February two days after her return from the U.S.
   She said she realized otherwise when she looked at his musical scores:
   They were meticulously marked, with different parts highlighted in
   different colors and the hard parts specially clipped. "He is very
   organized. He has done a lot in the past one or two months," she
   conceded. "We give him the most headaches of all his orchestras."

   'More Savage!'

   Mr. Li returned in mid-March and began to tackle the music. In two
   days of rehearsals and fighting through a bout of food poisoning, he
   pushed the orchestra through Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition,"
   a complex piece that he added to the program at the last minute,
   alongside standards the orchestra knows well, such as Rossini's
   "William Tell" overture. By midmorning the first day, after hours of
   urging the brass section to play with more verve and volume, his shirt
   was soaked through with sweat.

   "More savage! More savage! I want a sound that doesn't listen to
   reason," he ordered the tuba player.

   When the first trumpet began to play the stately opening with a clear,
   pure tone, Mr. Li cut him short. "It sounds like a nervous little
   child going to school. Can it be a bit more heavy, more vigorous?"
   But he also was careful to thank each player after a difficult solo.

   Chinese orchestras have distinctive weaknesses, he says. An orchestra
   needs vivid individual voices, particularly in the brass and woodwinds,
   in which each part is usually played by a single instrument. The
   tendency among Chinese musicians is to hide rather than to stand out.

   "It's an emotional thing," he says. "Western people turn on when
   people are watching them. But in Chinese orchestras, there is so much
   pressure for a person not to lose face, that when the time comes for
   them to show off, they are hesitant to do it."

   Chinese orchestras' relative isolation from the outside world also
   hurts.  Mr. Li notes that all the principals in an American orchestra
   would have studied the entire musical score, not just their own parts.
   In China it is hard to find such scores, so only the conductor has
   one.

   After the two days of rehearsal, the orchestra's first concert under
   Mr. Li's baton was the next evening at the China University of Law
   and Politics in Beijing. Most of the students had never been to a
   classical-music performance. They packed the 1,700-seat auditorium,
   crowded along the stairways and against the back wall. They listened
   raptly as Mr. Li explained what the concertmaster does, why it's
   polite to applaud soloists after they play a difficult part, and how
   the crash of the brass section and the timpani is a clue that the
   piece is coming to an end. They remained perfectly silent during the
   performance, with none of the coughing and rustling, the beeping and
   phone-ringing that usually accompany performances in China.

   Mr. Li told his youthful audience, "When Chinese are happy, they are
   silent.  When Westerners are happy, they shout out 'Bravo!' If you
   hear us and like us, I urge you tonight to break with Chinese tradition."

   After the second encore, an energetic rendition of a Brahms "Hungarian
   Dance," the students applauded vigorously. Some even stood up and
   shouted out, "Bravo!"

Larry Sherwood