From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 2003 16:01:34 +0000
Alexander Scriabin
Complete Piano Music

Michael Ponti, Piano
Vox 3606 [5cds]
Vox 5184 [2cds]

Vox has reissued Michael Ponti's 1970's recordings of Scriabin's solo
piano music in two volumes totalling 7 discs.  Reviews of the sets have
been mixed with the basic complaints being that Ponti isn't deeply
immersed in Scriabin's psyche, offers little subtlety, and has to deal
with 'raw' sound.

After listening many times to Ponti's interpretations, I do not share
the concerns expressed by some other reviewers.  First the sound - it
may be a little raw, but I tend to consider it rather vivid and excellent
for presenting the details in Scriabin's music.

Concerning emotional depth, Ponti isn't right up there with Sofronitsky
or Feinberg.  However, I find the depth sufficient, particularly when
the detail is so wonderfully projected with innner voices rising to new
heights of priority.  Also, Ponti's rhythmic energy and bounce is as
good as it gets with his vertical elasticity very impressive and compelling.

Given the distinctive performances and bargain-basement price tag, I
think the two sets are a great way for new listeners to be introduced
to Scriabin's piano music and superior to the various Scriabin piano
discs released by Naxos.  Also, dedicated Scriabin enthusiasts will
find additional insights into Scriabin's psychology.

Don Satz